Treat your marimba well and it will be your partner for life! Here are seven tips:
1. When you are not playing, keep your marimba out of direct sunlight and cover. This will protect it from dust and scratches.
2. Ideal humidity for playing and storing your marimba is around 50%. In very dry environments, a humidifier should be used; and in very moist environments, use a dehumidifier. Even when the marimba is being stored, it is best to maintain a controlled environment.
3. The marimba’s acoustics are designed to be optimized between 68 and 72 degrees. Extremes of temperature should be avoided.
4. Use only a damp cotton cloth or a micro-fiber towel to wipe down your marimba.
5. Be CAREFUL when you move your marimba. It’s a large instrument, so think about tight corners, door frames and other obstacles. If you have a height-adjustable frame, raise the resonators before moving to keep from hitting door jams.
6. Do not put anything on your keyboard (obviously). The bars are precious rosewood and will scratch if you don’t take care.
7. Speak to it, sing to it.... it’s alive.
Treat your marimba well and it will be your partner for life!